Why is it we always seem to want the things that are not ours or not meant to be ours? We have so many good things in our lives but yet we lust for more and envy that of our neighbors and friends. We never seem satisfied with what we have and always think the grass is greener in the yard next door. Sometimes we long for possessions and envy others because we are lacking something in our lives that we can not find or figure out. It isn’t a physical object it is something within ourselves we lack and it is different for each one of us. The main thing we must realize is that if our neighbor’s grass looks greener it’s either they took care of their yard or the yard is full of crabgrass and only looks greener. More or less if someone’s life looks all great and wonderful either they worked hard to get it there or it’s just an illusion and usually it’s the later.
Far as that bottomless void some of us suffer and try in vain to fill with material goods and pleasures, it can only be filled by spiritual means. Prayer, faith and even meditation will help fill that void along with a little self-esteem building. Where the void came from is something that each individual must find out but a void usually comes from a great loss like a death in the family, loss of self-worth and the lack of spiritual meaning in one’s life. Sometimes the void is created by a multitude of things and over many years of life. The one thing I am sure of both through personal experience and that of friends and colleagues is that material wealth and possessions can not fill the void and neither can drugs or pleasures. Though they provide temporary relief they usually help the void grow in size in the end.
“Material wealth and possessions can be stolen and / or lost , Riches of the spirit and heart are everlasting.”
- The midlife crisis – a redux (thisconjecture.wordpress.com)
- God or Material possession (thejordanvalley.wordpress.com)
- Charlie liked Charlie’s blog post ~The Daily Oracle~ With Darity Wesley ~ Finding Lasting Nourishment (community.humanityhealing.net)
- Mantra for blissful and profitable journey (prophet666.com)
- The Birds of Heaven (brakeman1.com)
- A Faith Worth Passing Down (pttyann2.wordpress.com)
- Easy to Compare (sidewalkbends.wordpress.com)
- Generousity (esetipeno.wordpress.com)
- Great good fortune: Who do you want to be when you grow up? (shaboominc.com)