Selfishness seems to be a prerequisite in being a human, Though one can repress this negative aspect of ourselves it seems to be partially related to the survival instinct programmed into our subconscious mind. To look out for ones self is the rule in survival but it can be replaced by looking out for ones group, tribe or family. I guess it all comes down to if one is a social orientated person or an individualist. Selfishness usually inhibits ones social behavior and leads to separation from the group as well as eventual self imposed loneliness.
To be humble is to know not one person is greater than the other and that to serve the greater good of humanity is far more important than the wants of the individual. To be selfish is to put the needs and wants of one above the many. Greed is the brother of selfishness and they seem to work hand in hand. Greed is the root of all selfishness and leads to the unequal distribution of wealth, food and the rest of life necessities. Greed also is what fuels the lust for power , which then puts the power into the hands of the rich and selfish.
Enough early morning babbling
- John Tropea: Selfishness as the root of indirect public benefit (johntropea.tumblr.com)
- Behind Bankers’ Pay: ‘Instability, Greed And Selfishness’ (npr.org)
- Human Rights – a Load of Old Rubbish (socyberty.com)
- John Tropea: Calculus of Selfishness (johntropea.tumblr.com)
- Are You Selfish? (socyberty.com)
- Selfish Behavior is Limiting Your Potential for Greatness. [an edgy conversation] (customerthink.com)
- Instability, greed and selfishness and the City (ftalphaville.ft.com)
- Sowell: Government Greed (brvanlanen.wordpress.com)
- Selflessness – Or Self-Loathing? (psychologytoday.com)