The mind is constantly bombarded by both external stimuli and inner thought processes. Even when sleeping the mind is at work solving your problems and living out your fears as well as your fantasies via dreams. During sleep the mind does have time to rest some, but with the amount of sleep most of us are getting it doesn’t get enough rest. This causes many problems from stress on the body and mind to the decrease of mental focus during the day. Lack of adequate sleep over time causes problems with blood pressure and can lead to either depression or crankiness. So little emphasis is put on getting a good night sleep, even some who do get 8 hours of sleep still don’t get the required amount of deep sleep and they pay the same price for those of us that get 5 or 6 hours.
In modern times it seems that we have less time to sleep due to the non stop nature of our society. The stress from work, relationships and even family makes it hard to get deep and relaxing sleep as well. We need to set more time aside for sleep and learn to remove/manage the stress before heading to bed. Being stressed out when you go to bed only makes it harder to get to sleep and usually makes your sleep to light if not restless. Relaxation techniques such as relaxing to some soothing music, taking a long hot bath and meditation are very beneficial to relieving stress and if done before bedtime it helps you get a good night sleep.
Today too much emphasis is put on physical health and how physical activity is the key to being healthy and not enough about how the mind plays a strong part in being healthy as well. We are both Mind and Body, we need to keep a healthy mind as well as a healthy body for they both affect one another and the overall health of a person.
A peaceful mind leads to a relaxed and stress free body, a well maintained body leads to a healthier mind.
- Sleep Apnea FAQ (topdentists.com)
- Stay in Balance to Boost Your Immune System (joyofspa.com)
- Melatonin for Sound Natural Sleep and Stress Relief (health-drugs.typepad.com)
- Sleep: An Essential Remedy for Being Sick (mattress-find.com)
- Sleep Tight With Melatonin (beverley1.com)
- Experts give advice for those having trouble falling asleep (dispatch.com)
- Puberty turned on by brain during deep sleep (eurekalert.org)
- Puberty Turned On by Brain During Deep Sleep (sott.net)